|1.PRIVATE PRACTICE FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANTS AND CLINICAL OFFICERS|
|MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR PRIVATE PRACTICE FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANTS AND CLINICAL OFFICERS download pdf|
|C) OUT-PATIENT CLINICS FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANTS, CLINICAL OFFICERS, DENTAL THERAPISTS.
(NOTE: THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW MUST BE AVAILABLE DURING INITIAL INSPECTION OF THE PREMISES AND NO NEED FOR LICENCE TO PURCHASE THEM).
|The clinic should:|
- be built with permanent materials
- have a plastered interior
- have adequate ventilation
- have at least four rooms of 4 x 3 metres divided as follows:
have toilet facilities consisting of either--
- an examination room; and
- a treatment room; and
- a patients registration room; and
- a procedure room
Have an adequate supply of clean and safe water nearby or running water within the building.
Have a wash basin or sink and a large container for storing water.
- a ventilated pit latrine; or
- a sanitation platform latrine; or
- A water closet.
|PART III- EQUIPMET AND SUPPLIES A. MEDICAL ASSISTANTS AND CLINICAL OFFICERS The following should be available---- |
Lockable drug cupboard or drug store
Examination couch/bed in treatment, consultation, and dressing rooms.
- Good examination light in consultation, and dressing rooms.
- Table in the registration, treatment, and consultation rooms.
- Seats for patients in the waiting, consultation, and treatment rooms.
- Blood pressure machines
- Torch or other source of light for throat examination
- Sharps container in treatment, consultation, and dressing rooms
- Adequate stocks of disinfectants, e.g. Chlorine or Jik
- Detergents for hand washing
- Boots, Aprons, and Heavy Duty Gloves for PPEs.
- At least three basins for disinfection in treatment, consultation and dressing rooms
- At least two thermometers
- A minimum of 100 disposable syringes as follows:
100 x 2ml syringes
- 100 x 5ml syringes
- 100 x 10ml syringes
At least sterilizer mainly autoclave
- At least stove or hotplate
- At least two needle holders
- At least one sterile syringes tray
- At least two pairs of dressing scissors
- At least two dissecting forceps
- Cheatle forceps x 2
- At least 25 metal spatula or a box of 100 disposable spatula
- A microscope for examination of stool and urine (optional)
- Refrigerator for the storage of drugs requiring refrigeration
- Resuscitation equipment treatment, and consultation rooms.
- Emergency tray in treatment, consultation, and dressing rooms.
- Appropriate and current reference books for the practice
- Two bins for the disposal of waste, one of which shall be for the disposal of sharp instruments and the other for the disposal of waste material in either case using an incinerator of the ordinary type or of a 44-gallon drum with specifications approved by the Council.
- Registers of patients
- Patients prescription tickets
- Case record cards to be carried by patients or to be kept by the clinic
- Reporting forms for submission for clinic statistics to the Ministry of Health
- Rubbish disposal pit or rubbish bin
- At least fifty pairs of surgical and sterile gloves
- Receipt book for the fees charged
- Receipt of drugs purchased
- Record of drugs purchased
- Full diagnostic set
|2.MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR A PRIVATE PRACTICE |
PART 1-FOR A PRIVATE PRACTICE PROVIDING OUT-PATIENT SERVICES ONLY
|NOTE:THE EQUIPMENT LISTED BELOW DOES NOT REQUIRE LICENCE TO BE PURCHASED BUT ARE NEEDED DURING INITIAL INSPECTION IN THE CLINIC .A.MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS|
The Clinic should have:
- awaiting room
- a consulting room with examination bed which should be reasonably sound-proofed so that conversations taking place there in are not easily audible outside the consulting room
- an examination room with examination coach which should be either a separate room or a curtaine doff part of a consulting room;
- a treatment room with Examination bed in which such procedures as the giving of medications and the carrying out of minor surgical operations can be undertaken;
- Adequate toilet facilities.
- All rooms should be clean and adequately furnished, and-
- there should be sufficient sitting accommodation in the waiting room for the size of the practice;
- the consulting room should have a desk for the practitioner,a chair for the practitioner and atleast two orthree chairs for the patient and persons accompanying the patient; and further, a consulting room should have a facility for the practitioner to wash his hands.For example,where there is no running water there should be awash-basin with a jug of water which is periodically drained, cleaned and topped up;
there should be an examination couch in the consulting or examination room and another couch in the treatment room and the couche sought to be so designed that it is easy for an infirm patient to get onto them,and further there should be adequate lighting,either day light or artificial light,to enable the practitioner to see his patientfully.
|2.EQUIPMENT||The practitioner shall have the following equipment available at his private practice-
diagnostic instruments such as stethoscope,sphygmomanometer, fetal stethoscope,torch,patellahammer,full diagnostic set, ophthalmoscope,proctoscope,vaginal speculum,disposable tongue depressors;tonometer,Eye vision testingsnellenchart,weighing scales,thermometers,
- instruments for carrying out certain procedures,for example,draining abscesses and stitching wounds;
- sterilizers for surgical instruments and containers,etc;
- Facility to examine urine on the premises,as for example,by the use of"labstix"or equivalent reagents;
- acabinet for patients' records.
- Emergency tray
- Resuscitation equipment
- Infection Prevention and Control facilities(3 buckets for disinfection, 3 buckets forwastes disposal inconsultation/examination,dressing, procedure,and treatment rooms)
- Handwashing sinks or buckets with tap in consultation/examination, dressing,procedure and treatment rooms.
- Lockable cupboard for drug storage or drugstore with ventilation.
- Screen/curtain i nconsultation/examination,treatment,dressing,and procedurerooms)
- Examination bed/couch
- Floor standing Examination light(Anglepoise)
- Suction machine
- Oxygen Concentrator
- Intravenous drip stand double hook
- Cheatle forceps
- Surgical and utility gloves
- Syringes(100 each of the following sizes:2mls,3mls,5mls and
- Cleaning utensils,Gumboots,heavy duty gloves,and heavy duty aprons.
- Waste disposal facilities(Incinerator and refuse pit)
- Spatula disposable
- Health Passports
- Out Patient Register and reporting forms
- Receipt Book for fees charged
- Receipts of drugs purchased
- Medical reference books
- Treatment Guidelines
- Infection Prevention and Control guidelines
|3.STOCKING OF DRUGS|
- Subject to there levant provisions of the Pharmacy,Medicines and Poisons Act,1988,the practitioner should attempt to keep in his premises a stock of those essential drugs which he considers should be administered to his patients in his premises and especially if his practice is not in alocation where there may be dispensing pharmacy.The range of drugs that he should have is wide,but he ought to have atleast the following-
- Injections of analgesics(forexample,pethedine,morphine, etc);and
- Antibiotics,antihistamines,brochodilators,antienetics, antispasmodics,local anesthetics and cortisteroids.
- For the purpose of administering injections,a practitioner should have sterile syringes and needles,or standard and surgical spiritor other appropriate skin antiseptic.
- The practitioner should provide himself with abag which he can carry with him when visiting patients or when traveling or to be available for him to use when ever his services may be needed.The bag should contain,as a minimum,the following-
- Such drugs as injections of analgesics,antibiotics, bronchodilators,tranquilizers,local anaesthetics anti spasmodics,anti emetics and similar drugs.
- Oral preparations such as antipyretics,analgesics,gastro intestinal sedatives,ant ihistamines,broncho dilators, antibiotics,muscle relaxants,andothers.
- For the purpose of the doctor's bag,it should be the practice to carry disposable syringes and needles rather than steel and glass syringes which require sterilization.The bag will be adequately furnished if it carries a supply of 2ml disposable syringes and 25g(Iin.)and 21g (1)all disposable equipment to avoid their possible re-use.